The Newcomer

The Student News Site of New Tech High @ Coppell

The Newcomer

The Newcomer

Dear New Tech, 

Abby Thurgood and other Rewind (yearbook) staff finalizing the book.

Dear New Tech,

It’s hard to believe that my time at New Tech is coming to an end. When I walked into New Tech for the first time, I think I was more nervous than I had ever been before. Even after a year of online school, I had not had enough time to mentally prepare myself to be in high school. Without any older siblings or friends who could comfort my worries, I walked into high school feeling completely alone—one of my biggest fears. Looking back on that time now, I cannot believe the impact New Tech has had on me in only three years. As a senior, I’ve learned so many lessons that freshman me would’ve been so grateful to know. Now, four years later, I’ll act as the older sibling I needed and clue you in on the three most important things I’ve learned in high school.

1. Take the opportunities you are given. New Tech offers so many opportunities that can help you attain new knowledge and gain experience. If I had not taken the leap and applied to be in NTC three years ago, I would not be in the place I am now. Your facilitators do things in your best interest, so take their advice into account especially when it could be beneficial in the long run.

2. High school isn’t easy. I would be lying if I said the last four years have been a breeze. Everyone is going to have a class they don’t like. Everyone is going to have something they don’t understand. You are going to struggle, but it’s going to be okay.

3. And lastly, you are loved. When I walked into New Tech on the first day of school sophomore year, I didn’t know how I was going to get through the next three years. Now, at the end of my high school career, I have found my family away from home. New Tech is a family. There is always someone there to support and to comfort you.

I encourage you all to find your people and your place here at New Tech, and enjoy your high school career to the fullest. I am so grateful for all of the lessons I’ve learned and people I’ve met during my time here at New Tech. Thank you for giving me friends, memories, and a family away from home that I will continue to cherish as I move on from New Tech.

Love,

Abby Thurgood