The Newcomer

The Student News Site of New Tech High @ Coppell

The Newcomer

The Newcomer

Is a Hot Dog a Taco?

Through the ages, one question has plagued mankind. Millions have tried to answer but to no avail. Is a hot dog a taco? Can a warm, freshly made, delicious, chewy hot dog dripping with ketchup even compare with a taco with seasoned meat, fresh fillings, and layers of cheese inside a crunchy shell? 

This question is not as simple as it seems. One of the most defining characteristics of a taco is its shell, which is similar to a hot dog’s bun. 

On the other hand, a taco could be defined as a traditional Mexican dish that contains things such as lettuce and tomatoes. Here’s what some of the student body says:

A Hot Dog is a Taco:

An interview with Bilal Mohammed and Jackson Sandlin (9th grade) revealed some insights into this topic.

They said that a hot dog is a taco, due to similarities in the breading of the food. Tacos have shells that are similar in shape to that of the bun of a hot dog. This crescent shape of the bread encloses the meat inside hot dogs and tacos. 

This hints at the Cube Rule of Food, which is held in high esteem by food enthusiasts everywhere, from Washington Post reporters to the average twitter user. The Cube Rule of Food (which a literal Washington Post article has been created about) that was supposedly created by the Twitter user @Phosphatide, classifies food by the location of starch (bread) in the food. 

Brandon. The Cube Rule of Food, 14 Mar. 2018, arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-gmg.s3.amazonaws.com/public/HAXYMGTHDFG7BN6FPZEUZYWRZI.jpg. Accessed 11 Feb. 2024.

According to the rule, a hot dog is a taco, due to having starch content on 3 different sides. This gives more credibility to the hot dog is a taco side, and reaffirms their stance. 

Additionally, tacos can have soft shells that are similar to those of a hot dog. 

Both tacos and hot dogs have mainly meat inside of them (generally beef). Bilal said, “you can also add stuff on the side, like sauces and ketchup.” While most people don’t eat their tacos with ketchup, Jackson sums this debate up with “A hot dog is basically an American taco.”  

A Hot Dog is Not a Taco:

On the other hand, Izyan Sultanali (10th grade) had an opposing view. He said, “A taco is Mexican, and a hot dog is American.” 

This point brought up key differences in each food’s cultural origin, directly refuting Jackson’s claim that “A hot dog is an American taco.” 

Tacos were said to have originated in Mexico long before the Spanish arrived. Ancient Mexicans used corn tortillas and filled them with meat, such as fish or cooked organs. The modern taco that we think of today filled with sour cream and cheese first appeared very recently, within this century.

On the other hand, hot dogs originated from German “dachshund sausages,” which were brought to the United States through German immigrants. These sausages eventually were called hot dogs and became an American staple. They are traditionally eaten with soft bread rolls (buns), which taste and have a different texture than standard tortillas. 

Another point made by Izyan was that “it [the hotdog] just isn’t [a taco].” This could be interpreted as a cry for reason by Izyan, begging us to look at this “war of words” from a reasonable standpoint.

When further inquired about this claim, he simply said, “I just don’t know bro, I just couldn’t tell you.” This further shows Izyan’s confidence that a hot dog is simply not a taco, and that it is simply against the laws of nature. 

When asked for more reasons why he doesn’t believe a hot dog is a taco, he simply summarized it with, “It’s a glizzy.”

What do you think? Have your opinion heard by typing what you believe in the comment box below.

Sources:

Twisted Taco. “History of the Taco.” Www.twistedtaco.com, 17 May 2019, www.twistedtaco.com/the-history-of-the-taco.

“Hot Dog History | NHDSC.” Hot-Dog.org, 2016, www.hot-dog.org/culture/hot-dog-history.

‌Judkis, Maura. “Perspective | a Hot Dog Is a Taco. A Steak Is a Salad. A Pop-Tart Is a Calzone. Let the Cube Rule Explain.” The Washington Post, 12 Dec. 2018, www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2018/12/12/a-hot-dog-is-a-taco-a-steak-is-a-salad-a-pop-tart-is-a-calzone-let-the-cube-rule-explain/.