The Newcomer

The Student News Site of New Tech High @ Coppell

The Newcomer

The Newcomer

Earth Day Event Promotes Community Sustainability

Learn how NTH@C’s For Earth S@ke Event Helped Create a More Sustainable Future

New Tech High @ Coppell had its Earth S@ke celebration on Monday, April 22, 2024, to promote sustainability and raise environmental awareness on Earth Day. The event took place after school from 5-8 pm and was open to the general public. Many community members were present, including NTH@C’s new principal, Mr. Porter. This school-wide event prompted exhibits held by all grades.

The rookies held two separate events. Firstly, World Geography held MicroCon, an event where groups make sustainable cities in Minecraft, making things like Constitutions, for each city. World Geography learners then presented their countries on tri-folds they constructed and decorated. Secondly, English I rookies created tributes to sustainability upstanders in the local community. These tributes were displayed in the gym and were presented to nearby passersby and evaluators. Many of the tributes are abstract and represent their upstander through metaphors.

The sophomores created board games about ancient civilizations in Mr. Holmes’ English II class. The games outlined the interaction of ancient civilizations and the environment. Ancient civilizations ranged from Ancient Rome to Ancient Egypt.

The juniors investigated the feasibility and viability of rental properties in Galveston. Additionally, they presented original films about environmental issues affecting the local community.

The seniors showed how to “become one with nature,” articulating the pull of nature.

Overall, the 2024 Earth’s S@ke crucial to raising awareness about major environmental issues that exist in our world and promoted a clean, green, sustainable future for us all.