The Newcomer

The Student News Site of New Tech High @ Coppell

The Newcomer

The Newcomer

Are Boneless Chicken Wings Just Chicken Nuggets in Disguise?

Hot Topic Issue #2

Throughout the ages, one question has plagued the minds of chicken nugget connoisseurs. Many have tried to answer this conundrum, to no avail. Are boneless chicken wings just chicken nuggets in disguise?

Many, tired of this unnecessary apartheid believe that boneless chicken wings are indeed just chicken nuggets. Nathan Fan (10th grade) argues that one of the most defining characteristics of chicken nuggets is that they solely consist of meat and muscles, with absolutely no bones whatsoever. Under this definition, boneless wings would be considered chicken nuggets. Additionally, both are made from chicken breast meat, making them taste similar. 

On the other hand, some fundamentalists argue that boneless chicken wings are radically different from normal nuggets. An interview conducted with Kadin Maxey (10th grade) gave us some insights into this point of view. “I don’t know bro,” he said, then chuckled. Despite Kadin’s reluctance to share his reasoning, there are many reasons why boneless chicken wings differ from chicken nuggets. Despite both being crafted from chicken breast meat, they originate from disparate cuts of the bird. Boneless wings derive from the breast, whereas nuggets comprise various chicken parts, including the skin and dark meat. Furthermore, the process diverges significantly: boneless wings are diced breast meat enveloped in a batter before plunging into a deep fryer for a crispy texture, while nuggets involve compressing separated chicken into nugget shapes, battering, breading, and frying. Most importantly, boneless wings are renowned for having a variety of seasonings and sauces, whereas nuggets are commonly served plain with ketchup or similar condiments.

What do you think? Let us know in the comments below.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Newcomer

Your donation will support the student journalists of New Tech High @ Coppell. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.