The Newcomer

The Student News Site of New Tech High @ Coppell

The Newcomer

The Newcomer

Outfit 101: With Reed Wiethoff

Reed Wiethoff, a sophomore at New Tech High @ Coppell, is a fashionista at heart. They come to school every day dressed to impress and runway-ready. Their goal when getting dressed every morning is to be someone their childhood self would admire, “someone cool and confident and comfortable in their own skin.” Reed describes their style as maximalist, taking inspiration from the 2000s and icons such as Minga London and Avril Lavigne. When you see someone as stylish as Reed, you wonder how they put together such an interesting outfit. When interviewed, Reed discussed their process in depth so that even Adam Sandler could make basketball shorts into a Pinterest-worthy look.

Olivia Noelle Guerra

Starting where any outfit starts, the store. With so much conversation and debate about buying clothes second-hand vs. new, I had to get Reed’s opinion on the subject. They stated that while thrifting is a cost-efficient option that provides an opportunity for some unique vintage finds, they often get burnt out while thrifting. But thrifting isn’t the only way to get second-hand clothes! Reed said that some of their favorite pieces are just hand-me-downs from their brothers and brothers’ girlfriends. Reed finds cute shirts and accessories at Hot Topic, and it’s not uncommon for them to stop by Walmart. They have purchased from fast fashion brands in the past, but are currently trying to “stay conscious of the background and practices of the companies” they shop from. They’ve accumulated a lot of great pieces from many different places and never discriminate when it comes to shopping! 

After they’ve shopped till they dropped, Reed officially starts their planning process on Pinterest. They tend to look up pictures from MySpace and Minga London. Reed’s most helpful tip for putting together an outfit you love is to “have an inspiration picture or reference picked out” before looking in your closet. As they said, Pinterest is a great way to gather inspiration. You can make boards and collages of your overall aesthetic, or even find a single photo of an outfit you want to recreate. It helps to search keywords when on social media platforms like Pinterest. Aesthetic, grunge, coquette, and indie are all words that will turn up a different kind of outfit. Reed likes to have Pinterest boards already made and ready so that when it’s time to get dressed, they don’t need to search for inspiration. You can create boards for however many styles you want, or have one main board to use for every outfit. Pinterest isn’t your only option though. Magazines are great to flip through when you need a quick idea, and movies and TV shows have some creative inspiration as well. The important thing is that you find something you love and are excited to recreate!

Usually, people get this far and then they just get lost. How exactly are you supposed to combine random pieces to make an outfit parallel to your inspiration photos? Reed’s answer: mix and match! They like to start with pants, which are their favorite article of clothing. Then they try on different tops to create the look they want. It’s important to them that the fit of the clothes is comfortable and makes them feel confident, because “a great outfit you’re always messing with and unsure about isn’t worth it.” The most important thing to remember is that you’re the one wearing this outfit all day, so pick something you love and want to wear. Reed says they feel more confident when they have on a great outfit, and when they’re not sure about their outfit, they feel insecure.  Lots of people can relate, which is why the most crucial step when putting together your outfit every morning is making sure you feel your best in it! You just need to try new things and different combinations. “There’s no method to the madness,” says Reed when describing how they put together their outfits.

You’ve managed to piece together the perfect outfit, but something is still missing. What makes a good outfit an exceptional outfit? ACCESSORIZING! It’s often said that accessories are the difference between wearing clothes and styling them. Things like tights, jewelry, and hats are all elements that can elevate an outfit. When it comes to accessorizing, Reed says they “just start stacking stuff.” Remember: Reed’s style is definitely on the maximalist side, so your staking might look different from theirs. Jewelry is a must when putting on an outfit, and there are so many options and styles to choose from! Silver is a perfect choice for those with a cooler undertone, or if you’re just looking for a more understated look. Gold, on the other hand, stands out more and is a lovely choice for warmer undertones. If you have them, piercings are a great way to show off your personality! Utilize different shapes and sizes to achieve your desired look. Like Reed mentioned, stacking and layering is a must when it comes to styling jewelry. Layer your necklaces and stack your rings and bracelets for the most amount of jewelry. As important as it is, jewelry is not the only accessory. Tights and socks are great to pair with skirts, hats can add a fun pop of color, and belts are both useful and stylish! Don’t forget to finish off your look with some comfortable shoes to match the outfit!

Now the outfit is stylish and so are you, it’s time for the finishing touches. Hair and makeup can elevate any look, and it’s really fun to do! Similarly to how Reed uses Pinterest to find outfit ideas, it’s a good idea to use it for makeup and hair inspiration too. If you’re wanting to get creative, try a colorful eyeshadow look or a graphic liner! Keep it simple with mascara and gloss if you don’t want to go too crazy, or don’t use any makeup at all. Blush and bronzer placement are crucial as they can change your face shape. You can use it to achieve a sun-kissed look to match your girly outfit, or a more snatched shape if you’re going for a model-off-duty style. Makeup is a great way to incorporate different colors from your outfit and enhance your natural features. Moving on to hair, where the world’s your oyster! Put it up or keep it down, and style it accordingly. You can curl it, straighten it, and even put a ribbon or clips in it. Your hairstyle is another way to incorporate different colors and tie together your finished look. Braids are always a great way to add some depth to your hair, and a classic ponytail is never a bad idea. Make sure to keep it out of your face so you can show off that makeup you worked so hard on!

Olivia Noelle Guerra

You’ve put all this effort into accessorizing and styling the perfect outfit, but why? Fashion is an amazing way to express yourself, as it requires no words or explanation. It’s freeing to feel like your personality is being shown through your appearance. It might take some time to find your style, and it won’t stay the same forever! Trends will come and go, and so will your love for different pieces and aesthetics. The goal is to put something on that you feel good about. Reed rarely finds themselves in an uncomfortable outfit because they’ve “found a style (they) feel comfortable and confident in.” Fashion is an art form that deserves respect and appreciation. It takes Reed a lot of effort to piece together an outfit, and they deserve recognition! Next time you see an impressive outfit, compliment it. You never know how hard someone worked to express themselves like that.

Donate to The Newcomer

Your donation will support the student journalists of New Tech High @ Coppell. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.